Ever faced the problem of gnat’s infestation? If yes, then you must read this article as we will be guiding you about the most useful gnat traps and other professional items that you can use to control, prevent or end the gnat’s infestation. Well, we all agree that having gnats everywhere gets unbearably annoying. And, once they get inside it seems pretty hard to end their growth.
Well, we are calling small flying insects including fruit flies, fungus gnats, and drain flies the gnats. So, no need to get confused. For those who don’t know, fungus gnats appear dark with long legs whereas the fruit flies look round and brown. The drain flies come with moth-like wings.
If you are thinking about why we are discussing and so much stress about gnat trap, then you must know that once they start growing, they don’t stop because they are known for breeding with no limits and so rapidly. It means the infestation needs to be treated instantly.
Ways to Prevent Gnat Infestations
The prevention is done either before or after you have treated the infestation, keep reading for useful tips.
- Never forget to clean food and drinks from the tables once you are done with the meal. Spillage attracts flies.
- Make a routine to keep your trash sealed in a trash bag and take it out daily. There is no reason to pile up all the trash inside the home.
- You must water the plants but no so excessively especially if they are indoor
- Never leave your fruit outside on a slab or kitchen exposed. It is better to refrigerate the fruits or else the smell of fruit will attract all the flies.
- Try to minimize the moisture and humidity level inside your home and overall surroundings. For instance, take care of leaks and rain gutters as well as birdbaths.
How can you trap or kill Gnats with home remedies?
Make an apple cider vinegar gnat trap
One of the most feasible, easy, and guaranteed homemade gnat traps is to make a vinegar trap if you are really tired of all the annoying gnats. All you need is:
- A few small jars
- 4 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- A few drops of liquid dish soap
MIX! SHAKE! WHIRL!
Place the jars on the corners where you are seeing gnats’ infestation. Don’t forget to remove the lid. As soon as they get attracted to the cider’s smell they will start landing on the mixture. Once landed, end of story! Due to the slipperiness of the soap, they will not be able to make it out of the gnat trap. It is completely a non-toxic trap.
Make a fruit trap
The very next idea we are giving you is somewhat similar as we will be using jars. But this time, put a fruit, either rotten or fresh, and put it in the corners with a perforated lid. Or else, try covering the jar with perforated plastic wrap. Once the gnats enter the jar, they will get stuck.
Make the best use of the bottle
Another trick that will help you get rid of maddening gnats is to utilize your old and used bottles for a hoemmeade gnat trap.
- Start with washing a plastic bottle
- Then, cut the top away and make it open surfaced
- Now, with a permanent marker make a central mark to make a “fill to” line
- Make a solution with 3 Tbsp. sugar and 1/4 cup vinegar
- Pour the mixture into the bottle
- Keep adding extra water until it reaches the fill line
- Take your cutoff top and place it upside down in the bottle
VIOLA! ALL DONE! Leave it in the kitchen overnight and see the magic.
Time to use honey
We all know moisture and wet soil attract gnats. You cannot stop them from being attracted but can trap them by using honey. Take bright yellow index cards and put honey on them as yellow tempts the gnats. Once the honey is swished all over, put the card on a straw and stick it into the soil. This gnat trap will attract flies with sweetness, sugariness, and smell.
Pour diluted bleach down the sink or tub drain
The perfect way to stop gnats’ infestation in your kitchen sink or bathtub. It will not trap but kill the irritating gnats right at the moment. As they must be drain flies, they will not be attracted to sweet and sugary things. They are best dealt with bleach. Make a solution by adding ½ cup bleach to one gallon of water. Once mixed well, let it flow through the infested drain.
Make a candle trap
A trick that is TOO GOOD to be true!
- Take a tall/lengthened candle and fit it into a candlestick
- Pour water in a pan, partly
- Place the candlestick into a pan
- The gnats will flock to the flame and be burned or will fall into the water and drown.
- Turn off all the lights and keep it dark
- Light the candle
Let the gnats come to the flame. There are two options. Either they will burn to death when they touch the flame or they will get trapped in the water-filled pan in this gnat trap.
Red wine is used for more than drinking
Take a shallow dish, pour some red wine, and wait for the gnats to come. If you are not interested in keeping the lid open, you can use perforated or keep a small opening. You can bring the variation by adding a splash of liquid soap.
Best commercial items for trapping or killing Gnats
One of the most trustworthy and strangely satisfying gnats traps to get away from all the gnats! These are designed to simply catch the bugs as soon as they land by trapping them on their sticky surface. Feel free to hang these papers anywhere or can also use them as a cover for a window.
Buy a chemical spray
Are things getting more and more bizarre? Failed to control the infestation with home remedies? Time to use top-quality and safer chemical sprays. These bug-killing sprays are the guaranteed and safer alternative to Insecticides especially if the children are around. Sprays precisely target all types of gnats.
Try a bug zapper
Might be hearing it for the first time, but this gnat trap DIY works amazing. We can say, the reason for its lesser use is that you can use it more efficiently for trapping larger bugs. It comes in a variety of designs that are absolutely safe to use even indoors. Getting a high-quality zapper will be operated noiselessly.
Best flypapers for trapping or killing Gnat
Faicuk Dual-Sided Yellow Sticky Traps
- Ideal for trapping Plant-insects
- 6 x 8 inches
- Easy application
- ECO friendly
- Economical option
- Widely Capture
Catchmaster Bug & Fly Clear Window Fly Traps
- High-quality adhesive
- Clear and disposable
- Waterproof paper
- No fumes
- No chemical odor
- Trap Size: 2.875 in. H x 8.25 in. L
Black Flag Fly Paper Insect Trap
- easy to use
- Can be used on tree trunks for trapping gypsy moths
- Environment friendly
- Super affordable
- Extremely sticky
- Retro-style flypaper
- Not suitable for cold temperatures